Search This Blog

Thursday 13 May 2010

Big Boys

A while back I did a post featuring songs about larger ladies - such delights as "Fat Gal" by Merle Travis - and it proved remarkably popular. It probably had more hits than anything I have posted before or since.

So in a transparent attempt to repeat the trick - and needing a bit of a morale boost after your almost complete disinterest in the works of Pat Shange and Mr. Chacklas - I thought I would pull together a selection of songs about fat men.

I'm not sure it is going to work though. For whereas songwriters seem to think of greater-girthed girls as bubbly and beautiful beings whose praises should be sung - a sentiment with which I entirely agree - big blokes are generally characterised as either pathetic or evil. Being prone to portliness myself I think this is grossly unfair. But I can't decide whether to sulk or come down on them like a ton of bricks.

Anyway, here they are for what they are worth:

"Fat Man" - Jethro Tull (1969)

"Fat Man" - La Revolucion de Emiliano Zapata (1970)

"Big Fat White Man" - Gospel Oak (1970) (a little more specific in their disdain)

"They Saw The Fat One Coming" - Strawberry Alarm Clock (1968)

Enough of that, there is something much more important to tell you. Yesterday the mighty Frank Sidebottom announced that he had been diagnosed with cancer. I am sure you will all want to join with me in wishing him all the best. Frank is nothing if not a trouper and he is going to beat it. You know he is. He really is.

Here is the great man in action:

1 comment:

  1. Great songs, but you missed the best one: Fat Man in the Bathtub by Little Feat. The live version on "Waiting for Columbus" is particularly fine. Sorry to hear about Frank.

    ReplyDelete