Search This Blog

Wednesday 22 May 2013

Watersongs

Those of you hang round here may remember me doing a feature on the great Gary Stewart a couple of weeks back, and then a few days later mentioning I was off to see Hiss Golden Messenger at Cafe Oto.

Well, you can imagine my surprise and delight when Yer Man Messenger covered Gary's "Drinkin' Thing" for an encore. Fortunately I had my wits sufficiently about me to capture the moment for you all, and here it is. The man providing tasty guitar licks, and almost entirely obscured by the traditional Cafe Oto gloom, is William Tyler (the support act and well worth seeing in his own right).



Their other encore was an equally good cover of "Bright Phoebus" by The Watersons. So naturally today you are getting a couple of Watersons' tracks, both from 1975's "For Pence And Spicy Ale" and the first very topical. Plus an epic tale from Mr Norma Waterson.

"Swinton May Song" - The Watersons

"Country Life" - The Watersons

"Famous Flower Of Serving Men" - Martin Carthy


1 comment:

  1. Ernie,
    On the back of your previous Gary Stewart post I purchased YOur Place or Mine whilst on holiday recently -good stuff.
    It was only when I was downloading the stuff that you put on that I realise it was him who had the great song She's Acting Single (I'm Drinking Doubles)!
    CC

    ReplyDelete