Search This Blog

Thursday 1 October 2015

Friend Of The Stars

Whenever I have to go over to Brussels for work I try to build in time to nip down to the Matonge district to check out the Congolese record shops. I was in one such emporium last week when this very dapper gent strolled in and introduced himself as Nkumu Mohamed from Groupe Bonyoma Djokisa. This is the photo taken to mark the occasion - I will leave you to ponder who is who.

 
Groupe Bonyoma Djokisa are a vocal trio who perform traditional music of the Congo, which bears only limited resemblance to the rumba sound which is the main Congolese musical export. You won't hear much guitar on their album "Petit A Petit (Mokongo Ya Nyama)", and on many tracks the only instruments are drums. It's good stuff though.

"Kota Pengele" - Groupe Bonyoma Djokisa 

"Festival" - Groupe Bonyoma Djokisa   

5 comments:

  1. Ha! Where to start? I love the Kinks, they're my favourite band, Beatles 'n' Stones not withstanding. How then can I never have known that Peter Noone and his Hermits had a hit with this? Admittedly it's very early Kinks territory too and I have to say I'm not too familiar with their version either. Call myself a Kinks fan? Clearly I'm a charlatan and I just feel depressed now. Thanks Ernie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is any consolation, Verity, I had no idea either. I was looking for the Kinks' version on YouTube when it popped up. I met one of the current Hermits in a pub in Chatham a couple of months ago. I regret not asking him now.

      Delete
  2. I think you're the bloke on the left. Do I win a prize?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise words you should heed Ernie: "That two girls are too many, three's a crowd and four you're dead"

    ReplyDelete