Search This Blog

Friday 15 April 2016

Ulaanbaatar Beckons

Sorry about the lack of service round here lately, folks. I've been a bit preoccupied with real life this past week, including getting ready to fly out early tomorrow morning for two days' work... in Mongolia.

Unfortunately I am only able to stay on for a few days extra so won't get the chance to explore the country. But I will be making a special trip to the largest equestrian statue in the world. And you can be sure I will be clearing an afternoon in my schedule to make my way round the charity shops of Ulaanbaatar in search of vintage Mongolian reggae albums. Watch this space.

I haven't had time to prepare any music, so you will have to make do with two videos. The first is a tribute to the great Mongol leader. The second - I discovered while researching my trip - is an interpretation of an old Mongol folk tune. The original tells the story of a nomadic herdsman mourning the loss of his beast of burden in a snowstorm on the mighty Mongolian steppe. His sadness turns to delight when the beast finds its way back to him, and the song celebrates the return of the yak. Some of this got lost in translation I feel.

4 comments:

  1. Ah! Talk of equestrian statues can only lead to.......http://tinyurl.com/hcmscld

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy - eagerly awaiting some Mongolian reggae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the marvellous Scottish gift for understated sarcasm. What you might call Charity Chic Murray

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Mongolian track reminds me of Rasputin by Boney M. And I didn't say this about Wolverton Mountain (Claude King)but it strongly resembles Lefty Frizzell's Saginaw Michigan. Well, it does to me.

    ReplyDelete